- The subject is designed to impart fundamental knowledge on the structure and functions of the various systems of the human body.
- It helps in understanding both homeostatic mechanisms.
- The provides the basic knowledge required to understand the various disciplines of pharmacy.
- Upon completion of this course the student should be able to
- Explain the gross morphology, structure and functions of various organs of the human body.
- Describe the various homeostatic mechanisms and their imbalances.
- Identify the various tissues and organs of different systems of human body.
- Perform the various experiments related to special senses and nervous system.
- Appreciate coordinated working pattern of different organs of each system
Introduction to Human Body
- Definition and scope of anatomy and physiology, levels of structural organization and body systems, basic life processes, homeostasis, basic anatomical terminology.
Cellular Level of Organization
- Structure and functions of cell, transport across cell membrane, cell division, cell junctions.
- General principles of cell communication, intracellular signaling pathway activation by extracellular signal molecule, Forms of intracellular signaling:
Tissue Level of Organization
- Classification of tissues, structure, location and functions of epithelial, muscular and nervous and connective tissues.
- Structure and functions of skin
- Divisions of skeletal system, types of bone, salient features and functions of bones of axial and appendicular skeletal system
- Organization of skeletal muscle, physiology of muscle contraction, neuromuscular junction
- Structural and functional classification, types of joints movements and its articulation
Body fluids and Blood
- Body fluids, composition and functions of blood, hemopoeisis, formation of hemoglobin, anemia, mechanisms of coagulation, blood grouping, Rh factors, transfusion, its significance and disorders of blood, Reticulo endothelial system.
- Lymphatic organs and tissues, lymphatic vessels, lymph circulation and functions of lymphatic system
Peripheral Nervous System
- Classification of peripheral nervous system.
- Structure and functions of sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system.
- Origin and functions of spinal and cranial nerves.
- Structure and functions of eye, ear, nose and tongue and their disorders.
- Heart – anatomy of heart, blood circulation, blood vessels.
- structure and functions of artery, vein and capillaries, elements of conduction system of heart and heart beat, its regulation by autonomic nervous system, cardiac output, cardiac cycle.
- Regulation of blood pressure, pulse, electrocardiogram and disorders of heart.
Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
- Essentials of Medical Physiology by K. Sembulingam and P. Sembulingam. Jaypee brothers medical publishers, New Delhi.
- Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness by Kathleen J.W. Wilson, Churchill Livingstone, New York
- Physiological basis of Medical Practice-Best and Tailor. Williams & Wilkins Co,Riverview, MI USA
- Text book of Medical Physiology- Arthur C,Guyton and John.E. Hall. Miamisburg, OH, U.S.A.
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology by Tortora Grabowski. Palmetto, GA, U.S.A. 31
- Textbook of Human Histology by Inderbir Singh, Jaypee brother’s medical publishers, New Delhi.
- Textbook of Practical Physiology by C.L. Ghai, Jaypee brother’s medical publishers, New Delhi.
- Practical workbook of Human Physiology by K. Srinageswari and Rajeev Sharma, Jaypee brother’s medical publishers, New Delhi.
Reference Books (Latest Editions)
- Physiological basis of Medical Practice-Best and Tailor. Williams & Wilkins Co, Riverview, MI USA
- Text book of Medical Physiology- Arthur C, Guyton and John. E. Hall. Miamisburg, OH, U.S.A.
- Human Physiology (vol 1 and 2) by Dr. C.C. Chatterrje, Academic Publishers Kolkata