- This course is designed to impart a fundamental knowledge on the preparatory pharmacy with arts and science of preparing the different conventional dosage forms.
- Upon completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Know the history of profession of pharmacy
- Understand the basics of different dosage forms, pharmaceutical incompatibilities and pharmaceutical calculations
- Understand the professional way of handling the prescription
- Preparation of various conventional dosage forms
UNIT – I
- Historical background and development of profession of pharmacy
- History of profession of Pharmacy in India in relation to pharmacy education, industry and organization, Pharmacy as a career
- Pharmacopoeias: Introduction to IP, BP, USP and Extra Pharmacopoeia.
- Dosage forms
- Introduction to dosage forms, classification and definitions
- Definition, Parts of prescription, handling of Prescription and Errors in prescription.
- Definition, Factors affecting posology. Pediatric dose calculations
UNIT – II
- Pharmaceutical Calculations:
- Weights and measures – Imperial & Metric system
- Calculations involving percentage solutions, alligation, proof spirit and isotonic solutions based on freezing point and molecular weight.
- Definition, classification, advantages and disadvantages
- Simple & compound powders – official preparations, dusting powders, effervescent, efflorescent and hygroscopic powders, eutectic mixtures.
- Geometric dilutions.
- Liquid Dosage Forms:
- Advantages and disadvantages of liquid dosage forms.
- Excipients used in formulation of liquid dosage forms.
- Solubility enhancement techniques
UNIT – III
- Definitions and preparations of Gargles, Mouthwashes, Throat Paint, Eardrops, Nasal drops, Enemas, Syrups, Elixirs, Liniments and Lotions.
- Definition, advantages and disadvantages, classifications, Preparation of suspensions;
- Flocculated and Deflocculated suspension & stability problems and methods to overcome.
- Definition, classification, emulsifying agent, test for the identification of type of Emulsion
- Methods of preparation & stability problems and methods to overcome.
UNIT – IV
- Definition, types, advantages and disadvantages, types of bases, methods of preparations.
- Displacement value & its calculations, evaluation of suppositories.
- Definition, classification, physical, chemical and therapeutic incompatibilities with examples.
UNIT – V
Semisolid Dosage Forms:
- Definitions, classification, mechanisms and factors influencing dermal penetration of drugs.
- Preparation of ointments, pastes, creams and gels.
- Excipients used in semi solid dosage forms.
- Evaluation of semi solid dosages forms
Recommended Books: (Latest Editions)
- C. Ansel et al., Pharmaceutical Dosage Form and Drug Delivery System, Lippincott Williams and Walkins, New Delhi.
- Carter S.J., Cooper and Gunn’s-Dispensing for Pharmaceutical Students, CBS publishers, New Delhi.
- E. Aulton, Pharmaceutics, The Science& Dosage Form Design, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
- Indian pharmacopoeia.
- British pharmacopoeia.
- Theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy,Lea& Febiger Publisher, The University of Michigan.
- Alfonso R. Gennaro Remington. The Science and Practice of Pharmacy, Lippincott Williams, New Delhi.
- Carter S.J., Cooper and Gunn’s. Tutorial Pharmacy, CBS Publications, New Delhi.
- A. Rawlins, Bentley’s Text Book of Pharmaceutics, English Language Book Society, Elsevier Health Sciences, USA.
- Isaac Ghebre Sellassie: Pharmaceutical Pelletization Technology, Marcel Dekker, INC, New York.
- Dilip M. Parikh: Handbook of Pharmaceutical Granulation Technology, Marcel Dekker, INC, New York.
- Francoise Nieloud and Gilberte Marti-Mestres: Pharmaceutical Emulsions and Suspensions, Marcel Dekker, INC, New York.